Toronto’s designers and architects keep getting better and better, and in our upcoming issue, we’ve crowned the year’s best
Tradition is important, so we’re ringing in the new year the only way we know how: with our Designer of the Year issue. For 2020, the über innovative Superkül took the crown as the year’s best overall designer, while Omar Gandhi, Paolo Ferrari and LGA Architects each won accolades for best restaurant, best product and best public space, respectively. In this issue, you’ll also find:
- Two tales of three businesses and four friends — creatives all — who have transformed a Geary Avenue commercial space into their personal and professional homes;
- A look at the restored Paradise Theatre, an art deco gem in the heart of Bloorcourt;
- How local architects got maximum comfort out of modest living spaces;
- A trio of fireplace treatments to warm up hearth and home;
- Our updated guide to Toronto’s best places to shop, along with statement-making bedroom furniture;
- Plus, we look at the work of local artist Brian Rideout, whose paintings capture iconic 20th century works from Matisse, de Kooning and others in their original settings, and Stacklab, who hacked the design process for its recent Felt Series of furniture.